As a beef producer, I have the luxury of having a deep freezer full of beef at my disposal. As a result, we grill pretty much year-round. But for most folks, May is the month to dust off the grill and start grilling again; luckily, this also coincides with May Beef Month, so it's the perfect time to start talking steak with our consumers.
It's been said that every rancher has his or her own favorite spice rub or the perfect way to grill a ribeye, and at our house, we are no exception. A simple steak with salt and pepper is our favorite, but there are times when we like to change it up a bit. That's when I rely on cookbooks.
Here are my top three favorite cookbooks that feature beef in their pages:
1. "Open Range: Steaks, Chops & More From Big Sky Country" by Jay Bentley and Patrick Dillon. This beautiful hardcover book was inspired by the cowboys of Montana. With recipes like Asian Beef & Sesame Salad, Memphis Style Dry-Rub Beef Ribs, Backyard Blackened New York Steaks, and Campfire Coffee Chili, you really can’t go wrong. The book is currently priced at $22.09 and can be ordered here.
2. "The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier" by Ree Drummond. This is the second in Drummond's cookbook series, and you can watch many of her recipes come alive on her popular cooking show on the Food Network. If you like butter and want to indulge in some rich eats, check out her Steakhouse Pizza, Mushroom Swiss Sliders with Spicy Fry Sauce, Whiskey-Mustard Meatballs and Sesame Beef Noodle Salad. Priced at $18.57, you can order here.
3. "The Healthy Beef Cookbook" by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, American Dietetic Association, Chef Richard Chamberlain and Betsy Hornick, MS, RD. This cookbook is well used at my place, with many pages for repeat use. I love the Mojo Beef Kabobs, Meatloaf with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Basil & Parmesan, and Stir-Fry Orange Beef Lettuce Cups. Score a copy here for $16.12 or buy the Kindle version for $14.99.
Now, if you just want to relax from a hard work week and let others do the cooking for you, Fox News recently compiled a list of the top steakhouses across the country including:
1. Bern's Steak House: Tampa, FL
2. Gordon Ramsay Steak: Las Vegas, NV
3. Quality Meats: New York, NY
4. CUT: Beverly Hills, CA
5. Bavette's Bar & Boeuf: Chicago, IL
6. Alexander's Steakhouse: Cupertino, CA
7. Grill 225: Charleston, SC
8. Killen's Steakhouse: Pearland, TX
9. ROAST: Detroit, MI
10. Kayne Prime, Nashville, TN
I personally haven't experienced any of these steakhouses, but from the descriptions, they sound incredible.
Do you have any cookbook, recipe or restaurant suggestions to add to this list? Share your best in the comments section below. Do you have a story to tell on the best steak you ever had?
You Might Also Like: