Beef Producers Should Watch For Acorn Poisoning In Cattle

  Tannins in acorns can cause pain, dehydration; treatment with hydrated lime may be necessary.

Tom Troxel, University of Arkansas associate head of animal science, says an over-abundance of acorns this fall and winter could be dangerous for cattle. An occasional acorn isn't a threat, but too many open the door to acorn poisoning from tannins, he says.

"Consumption of tannins can lead to gastrointestinal problems, severe kidney damage and death," he says. "Some cattle may consume acorns and experience no ill effects, while others suffer severe disease."

Many species of oaks are considered toxic to animals. They typically affect cattle and sheep, and they also can occasionally cause toxicity in horses.

To read more about acorn poisoning, click here.

 

You might also like:

Video Tour: 2014 Yamaha Viking SxS

5 Tips For Getting The Most Cash For Your Cull Cows

Why Cattle Should Not Ingest Net Wrap

Photo Gallery: Meet The Generations On The Ranch

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish