My heart is with the ranching community today as I read the incoming reports of the fire raging across Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. With more than 1.5 million acres burned and several people killed (at press time), this fire has devastated the region, and I pray that the flames will soon be put out. I’m certain that rural America will lend its support to those in need in the days ahead.
I spent yesterday following the news and compiling as many articles and resources as I could for BEEF readers to reference.
Here’s what I’ve gathered so far, and I hope you’ll help me add to the list. Please feel free to post up-to-date links of your own in the comments section below.
1. Updated: Dangerous conditions lead to wildfire outbreaks across the U.S. from Feedstuffs
2. Young couple among those killed in Texas wildfire by AgDaily
3. Fire relief efforts for Beaver, Ellis, Harper & Woodward County cattlemen from Oklahoma Cattlemen’s Association
4. Contacts for fire relief in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas from The Bovine Blog
5. Wind conditions should ease, helping crews battle wildfires from KRVN
6. Northeast Colorado fire: Immediate relief for farmers and ranchers needed from Colorado Cattlemen's Association
7. Panhandle fires response form from TSCRA
8. NCBA provides contact information for those wanting to help provide wildfire relief by Northern Ag Net
9. Cattle lost in fires: “It’s horrible out there, the things I saw today” from the Wichita Eagle
10. At least 6 people have died in wildfires from NPR
The opinions of Amanda Radke are not necessarily those of beefmagazine.com or Penton Agriculture.