The American Red Cross has launched its new Flood App to help save lives and reduce losses from floods and flash floods.
This free app gives iPhone, iPad and Android smart phone users instant access to local and real-time information, so they know what to do before, during and after a flood. The content is available in English and Spanish based on the user’s language settings on their mobile device. The app includes location-based, audible NOAA flood and flash flood watches and warnings – even if the app is closed.
“Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States and, following the devastating floods and flash flooding that we’ve had in Minnesota, we know that a tool like this new app can help here, too,” says Phil Hansen, Regional Chapter Executive of the American Red Cross Northern Minnesota Region. “Today, people can download this free Red Cross app and use it to create emergency plans so that all household members know what to do if flooding threatens.”
Other features of the app include:
- One-touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to send a message letting family and friends know that they are out of harm’s way;
- Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity;
- Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm to let others know where you are;
- Locations of open Red Cross shelters;
- Real-time recovery resources for returning home and cleaning up; and
- Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
The new Red Cross Flood App is being released during National Flood Safety Awareness Week, which runs from March 16-22.
“National Flood Safety Awareness Week is the perfect time to download the app and to start preparing,” added Hansen.
The app is the latest in the series of Red Cross emergency preparedness apps that put lifesaving information right in the hands of people whenever and wherever they need it. The expert advice in Red Cross apps, which also includes apps for First Aid, tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires, earthquakes and other services, has been used to help save lives during disasters and medical emergencies. Red Cross apps have been downloaded on nearly 4 million mobile devices.
The Flood App, along with the others, can be found in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store for Android by searching for American Red Cross or by going to redcross.org/mobileapps.