A new line of frozen steaks and roasts inspired by the checkoff-funded Beef Value Cuts program is being launched in many parts of the country. As part of its $100-million branding initiative, Tyson Foods Inc., is shipping the new line to retailers in California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and selected stores in Idaho. The line includes five new cuts from the Beef Value Cuts program: the Flat Iron Griller, Medallion Roast, Center Filet, Mesquite Center Filet and Peppered Center Filet.
In developing its new ready-to-cook beef products, Tyson Foods took advantage of pioneering work by the beef industry with the checkoff-funded Muscle Profiling Study and the resultant beef value cuts. The company is initially launching the new beef products on the West Coast in resealable packages that allow consumers to use what they need and save the rest for another meal. The packages include cooking instructions.
The Medallion Roasts contain two 12-oz. roasts/bag; the Flat Iron Griller, Center Filet, Mesquite Center and Peppered Centered Filet each contain four 6-oz. steaks/bag. The suggested retail price ranges from $9.99 to $10.99/bag.
Yellowstone bison test positive for brucellosis. Recent testing of bison migrating from the confines of Yellowstone National Park shows that 40-50% of the park's bison could be infected with brucellosis. Montana Department of Livestock officials and biologists contend the disease can be spread to cattle in the park's neighboring states of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.
|Beef, Pork Other Red Meat||Poultry||Fish, Other Seafood||Eggs||Milk, Other Dairy Products||Grains Legumes, Vegetables||Fruits, Nuts|
|*The term semi-vegetarian may refer to a person who limits the amount rather than the type of flesh foods consumed.|
In 1997, more than 1,000 of the park's bison were culled due to brucellosis concerns in bison wandering off the park. Few bison were tested for the disease at that time, however, due to protests from wildlife and radical environmental groups.
Winter 2002-2003, one of the toughest since 1996-1997, sent bison migrating from the park to adjacent national forest and private lands in search of food. But, wandering bison can now be rounded up and tested for disease as part of an agreement between the state and federal government to keep bison from coming into contact with livestock outside of the park.
The management plan allows bison to be killed without first being tested for the disease if the park herd reaches 3,000 head or more. Of the 231 bison from Yellowstone recently taken to a slaughterhouse, 209 tested positive for brucellosis.
The meat, heads and hides of the slaughtered bison were donated to Native American tribal groups in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho.
Irradiated ground beef availability grows at retail. The Great Atlantic&Pacific Tea Company Inc. (A&P) in the New York metro and in mid-Atlantic states, as well as 25 selected independently owned Associated Grocers of New England (AG) retailers, are the newest to add irradiated ground beef to their retail offerings. A&P includes 280 stores operating in the region under the banners of A&P, Food Emporium, Waldbaum's and Super Fresh. The product is treated with electron beams to destroy harmful food-borne bacteria much like thermal pasteurization does to milk.
USDA's 2001-2002 Agriculture Fact Book is now available. Hard copies, at $26 each, can be ordered online at http://bookstore.gpo.gov/ . Or, you can read online and download the 169-page book for free at http://www.usda.gov/factbook . The book includes general information and statistical data about U.S. food consumption, the ag sector and rural America, as well as USDA programs and services. Also electronically available at that site are copies of USDA fact books for years 1996 to 2000.
If you're not among the 30,000 weekly readers of BEEF Cow-Calf Weekly, here's what you're missing. In a March e-mail survey of readers of BEEF magazine's free e-mail newsletter — delivered every Friday afternoon to their home computers — respondents told us that:
Almost 90% regard the editorial content of the newsletter as useful to their cow-calf operation, and a total of 66% says it's the most useful of all newsletters they receive. The remaining 34% were divided over a total of 77 other newsletters, with none of them getting more than 4.6% support.
Readers most appreciate the convenience, conciseness, ease of reading, timeliness and analysis of the coverage.
BEEF Cow-Calf Weekly is produced specifically for cow-calf producers. It includes a ton of news, practical production information and links to information you need to help you manage a profitable cow-calf operation. Go to www.beef-mag.com  to sign up for your free subscription.