Beef Magazine is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

When It Comes To Nature And The Environment, We Need More Farmers

When It Comes To Nature And The Environment, We Need More Farmers

If everyone in the U.S. were a farmer or rancher, our country wouldn’t be facing near the problems it does today. I don’t contend that the urbanization of America is a bad thing. After all, it was the efficiency of American agriculture that allowed people to move off the land and focus on other creative and value-creating activities.

The bottom line of this migration off the land has been an improved standard of living for virtually all Americans, as well as unprecedented economic growth. Where the majority of the population used to be engaged in feeding the nation, fewer than 2% of Americans do the job today. That makes it possible for the other 98% to focus on other society-building pursuits.

Farmers and ranchers, however, have a unique perspective on the world, and a clearer understanding of key principles that are no longer widely understood by folks long removed from the land. For instance, farmers and ranchers see and experience firsthand the lessons that nature reinforces on a daily basis; and they appreciate the interconnectedness of everything in nature.

We understand, for instance, that antagonisms exist, and we must take a long-term view in our actions. We understand that sustainability and prosperity are not separate entities. We understand that there are cycles, and that by taking the long view, you not only understand the consequences of one’s actions, but take positive steps to effect outcomes in a way that not only benefits mankind but nature.

Unfortunately, as people have become removed from the land, agriculture and nature, they’ve lost an understanding of sustainability, and they don’t understand the resilience of nature. There’s been a growing and disturbing tendency for consumers to see mankind and capitalism as problematic, rather than as guiding forces that not only ensure sustainability but improve both nature and living standards for generations to come.


Subscribe now to Cow-Calf Weekly to get the latest industry research and information in your inbox every Friday!

Today, profit motives are seen as problems rather than as the means to a solution; and mankind is a net negative to the environment, as technology tends to be harmful. Some believe that socialism is the only way to avoid abuse.

Farmers, however, understand that most resources are finite. But we also understand that we can produce more with fewer inputs, and not only do it sustainably but improve the overall base.

It’s a lack of understanding about nature, her power and interconnectedness that have led to the extreme pseudo-science view of the climate and man’s position in the environment.  Activists no longer use the words “global warming” to expound this belief, as this theory is ironically proving itself to be unsustainable. Rather, it evolved into the term “climate change,” but that also has become problematic. The popular term now is “global climate disruption.”

Change is something that can be dealt with, and doesn’t necessarily mean that change is inherently bad. If more people worked with nature every day, not only would they have a better appreciation for her, they would have a more intellectually solid footing to effect change when it comes to managing food energy and water more effectively.


You might also like:

Opinion: Is A Lack Of Opportunity Or Commitment Keeping Young People Out of Ag?

Breathtaking Photos Of Winter On The Ranch

Young Ranchers Share Their Estate Transfer Stories

10 Best Photos Featuring Generations On The Ranch

How To Keep Stock Water Ice-Free In Winter

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.