May Beef Month: Survey reveals 2016 burger trendsMay Beef Month: Survey reveals 2016 burger trends
May 10, 2016
We are 10 days into May Beef Month, and many cattlemen’s organizations across the country are busy with beef promotions, educational activities and consumer outreach events that aim to boost beef demand.
May kicks off the summer grilling season with the warmer weather and holidays like Memorial Day weekend coming up in just a few weeks, so it’s a perfect time to talk about ways to create the best beef meals on the barbecue — whether that’s kabobs, burgers, or steaks.
To celebrate May Beef Month, Schweid & Sons, a family-owned ground beef purveyor, conducts an annual poll to identify the most popular burgers of the year. The company surveys big chain operators and local, trend-setting establishment
s from coast to coast to determine the most popular burger size, toppings, condiments, sides and prices of best-selling burgers across the country.
Here is a roundup of this year’s Schweid & Sons 2016 Burger Trends Report:
1. Of the restaurants surveyed, 45% say they offer an 8-oz. (uncooked weight) burger patty on their menus.
2. The brioche bun (45%) is the most popular bun, followed by plain white (17%).
3. American and cheddar cheese are favorites, by far, to top a burger in restaurants surveyed.
4. Classic ketchup and mayo are the most popular sauces, followed by barbecue sauce.
Photo Credit: Schweid
5. Tomato and lettuce are the best toppings, said the restaurants surveyed, followed by items like mushroom, avocado, pickles, white onion, red onion, jalapeno and onion rings.
6. Bacon is king for additional proteins served on burgers. Other popular items included chili, pulled pork, egg, canadian bacon and ham.
7. Of the restaurants surveyed, 18% have their burgers priced at $10-10.99; however, the remainder of those polled have price points below that range.
8. Pre-formed burger patties are the most popular (62%) when compared to hand patties or smashed.
9. Sixty percent of respondents say they use chuck as the ground beef type in their restaurants, followed by Certified Angus Beef and All-Natural.
10. Most customers prefer their burgers medium or medium well.
11. The most popular burger side items are french fries, onion rings and sweet potato fries.
How do you like your burgers? Share your favorite combos in the comments section below.
The opinions of Amanda Radke are not necessarily those of beefmagazine.com or Penton Agriculture.
You might also like:
You May Also Like
The dollars and sense of sustainabilityFeb 18, 2023
Current Conditions for
New York, NY
Enter a zip code to see the weather conditions for a different location.