The National Farmers Union and other organizations are urging the Senate Ag Committee to include a "strong" livestock competition title in the farm bill. Provisions being requested are:
- Give producers at least three days to review and cancel a contract.
- Protect producers from prematurely terminated contracts if they have made a sizable capital investment.
- Make poultry producers and processors subject to the authority of the Packers & Stockyards Act (PSA).
- Require courts to award attorneys fees to successful producer plaintiffs under PSA.
- Prohibit the use of mandatory arbitration clauses in contracts between meat processors and livestock producers.