Pasture & Range: Florida Is The Best, Missouri The WorstPasture & Range: Florida Is The Best, Missouri The Worst
Grazing conditions nationally continue to wither, as Missouri continues to dry out, while Florida fares the best.
August 7, 2012
U.S. pasture and rangeland condition can’t get a break, as the latest latest USDA Crop Progress report (week ending Aug. 5) shows the situation continuing to circle the drain, as almost 60% is categorized as in Poor or Very Poor condition.
Overall, the report on conditions in 48 states found that 31% of pasture and rangeland is in Very Poor condition, while 28% is rated in Poor condition, 25% is in Fair condition, 14% in Good condition, and only 2% in Excellent condition. That’s a slight decrease from the previous week when 29% was rated in Very Poor condition, 28% in Poor condition, 26% in Fair condition, 15% in Good condition and 2% in Excellent condition.
States with the best pasture and rangeland conditions are in the Southeast, particularly Florida, which boasts 98% in Fair or better condition, and Mississippi at 97% Fair and better. Green pockets also exist in the Northeast, led by Maine, with 91% in Fair or better condition, and Connecticut, with 89%. On the West Coast, the state of Washington boasts the best situation, with 90% in Fair or better condition, and a nation-leading 23% in Excellent condition.
The states graded as having the worst conditions are led by Missouri, which has a whopping 99% of its pasture and rangeland graded as Poor or Very Poor; the remaining 1% is graded as Fair. Meanwhile, Illinois is rated as 95% Poor and Very Poor, and Kansas is rated as 89% Poor and Very Poor.
See the state-by-state breakout of pasture and range conditions (week ending Aug. 5), see the table below. Also listed are crop condition reports for corn and soybeans.
About the Author(s)
You May Also Like
The dollars and sense of sustainabilityFeb 18, 2023
Current Conditions for
New York, NY
Enter a zip code to see the weather conditions for a different location.