In the last couple of weeks, I dedicated not one but two blog posts to signs you might be having a bad day on the ranch. The response was so great that I couldn’t help but share some of the reader comments in a second blog. And, at the end of the day, it was nice to feel like other people could relate to my bad days, as I could relate to theirs.
In case you missed them...
Readers Share Their Best Of The Worst Ranch Moments
On the flip side, there are some great moments on the ranch that create lasting memories. When we’re having a bad day, we can replay those moments in our minds to remind ourselves why we do what we do.
Here is a roundup of 10 of my favorite memories of growing up and living on a cattle ranch:
1. When my grandpa gave me my first heifer, 510C, when I was three years old.
2. When I sold my first bull, Jack (510C’s son), at the Black Hills Stock Show when I was five.
3. When I showed Apple Blossom and Sparkles -- my Limousin heifers -- at the county fair in my first year in 4-H.
4. When I got to show my little sisters, Courtney and Kaley, the ropes of being good ranch help.
5. When my dad and I would take pasture tours on the four-wheeler to scope out the next great ones.
6. When my family takes “vacations” to the South Dakota State Fair each year.
7. When I bought my first bred cows at an auction sale.
8. When my husband Tyler and I bought our acreage near the home place.
9. Seeing new calves frolic in the pasture.
10. When I look out my window and see rolling hills that touch the horizon.
Obviously there have been many, many more wonderful memories that I’ve had on the ranch, but these are my best 10. How about you? What are some of your favorite ranch memories? Or, perhaps better phrased, what makes a great day on the ranch for you? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
You Might Also Like:
8 FMD Prevention Tips For Your Ranch
What The Industry Learned From Being "Pink Slimed"
Will Genetically Engineered Food Feed A Hungry World?