There’s no doubt about it -- I’m a glass half-full kind of gal. I like to look on the bright side of things, and even though I might have a bad day on the ranch once in awhile, I rarely blog about it. Then, I realized that the little things that bug me, or the dumb things I have done, you have probably experienced, too!
So, today, I have rounded up 15 annoying ranch nuisances that have happened to me or one of my family members over the years. These little things are certainly nothing to cry about, but I thought I would start a list to see if you all could relate.
Perhaps some of these belong in Jeff Foxworthy’s list of, “You might be a redneck,” jokes, but here is my list of, “You might be having a bad day if...”
- You discover a leak in your mud boots on a wet spring day.
- You have a rip on the thigh of your jeans the day you decide to stack square bales.
- You accidentally touch the electric fence.
- You forget to shut the gate and find the cows in a corn field.
- Your electric waterer freezes up during a blizzard
- You lose one glove to match your favorite pair.
- You forget to shut the water tank off, and it runs over.
- You set a tool down on your four-wheeler and drive off, losing it somewhere in a field.
- The ink splatters on the kitchen table when making a new ear tag.
- Your spouse throws away the latest edition of BEEF magazine before you’ve had a chance to read it.
- Your grill flames up and burns your steak before you notice the grease fire.
- You’re late for church because you have a last-minute cow to AI.
- You get stung by a bee while chopping thistles in a pasture.
- You run out of gas in the four-wheeler two miles from home (and your cell phone is dead).
- You get a speeding ticket while racing to town to get a tractor part before the stores close for the day.
So, how about you? Have you experienced any of these ranch follies? What are your pet peeves and lessons you’ve learned in the school of hard knocks? Share your stories in the comments section below.